24 July 2010

Croc-a-doodle-do

So for years I have done nothing but bash anything and everything to do with Crocs. They look clunky and plastic-y, they're really expensive for being made of plastic, the originals came in such garish colors, and it seemed like the only people who wore them were soccer moms and their toddlers.

Well, this past week I've learned that I'm going to have to eat my words.

Since I started my wonderful new job playing with puppies and kitties, I've had issues with my feet. At first, I thought it was because I wasn't used to being on my feet for 9 to 10 hours at a time. Then I thought the pain might be caused by the $10 shoes from Wal-Mart. Well, I upgraded to a decent shoe, and the pain still didn't go away.

It got pretty bad. I would soak my feet at night after each shift in hot water with epsom salts, then again in the morning. My feet, especially my left foot, would cramp horribly overnight, making any midnight trips to pee excruciatingly painful. I would be limping by the end of my shift. I lived with the pain, took the occasional advil when it got really bad, and just kept hoping it wasn't a sign of something really bad like a stress fracture.

I got the idea for the crocs weeks ago when a downpour flooded the building. The owner showed up in a pair of crocs, and after I got over my habitual reaction of OMGUGLYOMG, I realized those were probably pretty handy shoes for a flooded warehouse. I spent the rest of that shift in my soggy sneakers and socks. Then went home and soaked my foot.

Lately Garm has been suggesting that I might see a doctor about my foot. I don't really have an aversion to doctors, but if I don't really have to go, then I'd rather not. The crocs popped back into my head as another delay tactic for a doctor's visit. But the problem with the crocs is that they're really really expensive. And although I've always heard that they are comfortable, I didn't know how orthopedic they would be.

I finally made the decision to give the buggers a try. I went to three stores to find a very manly pair of black crocs with an adjustable heel strap. I spent the vast amounts of monies on them, and I decided that for the money I paid, they had better sex my feet along with the other, expected shoe-type functions.

Well, they come pretty damn close. In addition to not having to wear socks (an unconsidered benefit) the shoes gently massage my feet while I'm tromping around after puppies. We were graced with an unexpected summer thunderstorm (yay Georgia summers) that dumped a ton of water on us much too quickly, and although on the drive home my shirt, shorts and skivvies were still soaked and clinging to me, my feet had thoroughly dried out again. I've been wearing them all week, and for the first time since I started working this new job back in April, my feet do not hurt!  They're still a little sore after a 9 hour shift of lots of walking on rough ground and a good bit of heavy lifting and carrying, but there is no pain. None. I'm still cringing at night before I get up to pee at 2 am, but I don't have crippling pain when I put my feet on the floor.

Conclusion: in a week's time I have come to love these ugly, plastic, over-priced shoes, and I will finally stop saying how stupid they are. (But they still look stupid, no matter what)

1 comment: